Saturday, January 27, 2007

POP!

Our last sighting of Laurence & Guillaume sans Hector (on the outside, that is) turned out to be but two days before his birth. The docs had stopped the meds that were keeping their bairn on the inside that very day, and Laurence was up and about like a (big-bellied) bird in spring. We joked about the wee one arriving within the week, and... two days later, out he popped!


Oh! And get this! On the way to their house for lunch, we got off the tram and began crossing the path through the botanical gardens, when the boys spied a series of large tree roots that had burst through the concrete. Of course, these roots were an invitation to any small child (and many's the big kid, too) to go hop-skip-jumping. And of course, that's what mine did... until Leo missed a root and came tumbling down & straight into a fresh dog-dump. I whipped out a wipey and was hurriedly cleaning his knee - at the same time warding off his hand, which was frantically trying to caress his wounded, poop-covered knee - when the extremely handsome woman that we had passed earlier, and who had gestured towards us as she spoke with a colleaugue or a friend, approached us, bent down and said (in French), "I know you don't know me, but I know you... I mean, I feel as though I know you, since I've seen so many pictures of you on your blog! I'm Guillaume's mom!" I must've looked very confused in the lead-up to the last sentence; but a this point, I laughed and said, "That's too much of a coincidence! We're on our way to Laurence & Guillaume's for lunch!" We had a lovely wee chat and then parted ways, promising to be meeting up soon for more talk and a bite to eat, a drink to sip... and a grandson to wonder over...!

Another little wonder was born on Martin Luther King Day: Samuel Robinson Challu! His lovin' mom, Amy, was (along with her brother, Chris) one of David's and my first Iowa City friends.

Samuel & Hector are a couple of very lucky little guys. Congratualations to all six of youse!