Monday, January 14, 2008

All is Calm, All is Bright

The post-Xmas days were just what we needed to end the year: calm and gorgeous. The stress of the year gone by melted away, even as we found ourselves in the midst of the political storm that is pre-causus season in Iowa. The boys were treated to everything they could be treated to by their lovin' grandparents, the big 'uns got to see some old friends, and we were all very sorry to know that this utopian state of things wasn't going to last forever.



Oh, and did I mention already that we not only saw 2.5 presidential candidates "in ze flesh", but that I also had something like an epiphany as I shook Obama's hand? No joke. At the risk of sounding apostolic (or drugged), it was a very moving experience. What was perhaps most incredible was that I actually had this long and utterly peaceful moment as I shook his hand, during which I was able to say everything that I meant to say, hear everything he said in response, turn around... and only then did my knees begin to buckle. I've shaken hands and/or spoken with many people I admire, for one reason or another, but never had this kind of experience.



A funny story: The boys are still trying to figure out what titles really mean, in family and otherwise. Even tonight (23 January, folks. Ugh) at supper, the boys were plying us with questions, and supplying their own, now well-rehersed answers (as in: their daddy is my daddy, we are their grandparents' parents, and so on). We do our best. But they're still so wee. Sometimes I lose sight of this for a moment or six.

So anyway: One day, I was making the bed (HA! It's TRUE!) in our room, when Tomi padded down the hall and sat on the top step, yelling, "MO-O-O-OM!" to which I turned and answered, "Yes, honey?" He looked over and up at me, cocked his head and said, "No, I mean the other Mom!" Me: "You mean Gramma?" Tomi: "..." Me: "See, bunny... your gramma's my mom, but she's your grandma." Tomi: (raises his shoulders, hesitates...) "GRANDMA-MOM!"