Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Crimeny!


So. Just a few days after the g*d*a*n post about f*c*i*g bad words coming out of little guys' mouths, what do I witness, but this:

The boys and I are walking home with (their friend) Raphaƫl and his mommy, (our friend) Isabella. We stop often and long along the way to our house. In fact, we stop so often and so long, that by the time we're at our house, it's dinner time; so we all eat together. It's a riot, in more ways than one.

At one point, we moms are talking as the three boys scamper up and around a wall surrounding one of the public courtyards along the way. Tomi is in the King position, and he looks over and down at us, then raises himself up as though he has a public proclamation to make. He says, "P*t**n! *u*ain!"* in a way that I don't even have to look back over the past few days or weeks to know that he didn't hear that one from either of us. Isabella is laughing surreptitiously beside me as I ask, "Where did you learn that one?!" To which he answers, "Nawelle says it! She say it to me, too!" Raphi nods in agreement with his friend, and they carry on for a moment or two, just barely within our hearing: "P*t**n! *u*ain!" and so on, until they get us worried about their positions on the wall and the silliness that's beginning to take hold of them. As we get them down from their peril, Isabella gives me some insight into the situation of their school buddy. And all the time, I'm thinking, "Okay, but then again, our household ain't breaking down, but who knows?! Perhaps my boys are nonetheless teaching g*d*a*n to all of their school buddies! HORRORS!"

Ach!

* p*t**n = wh*r*/sl*t, but it's used variously, as English speakers use the F-word. In any case, you definitely don't want your kids saying this (in France, at any rate).

p.s. Them's our boys, up there. We had a day of spring last Saturday (18°C!!), during which adults worked on the terrace and boys wreaked havoc. Actually, though... I'm not being fair. Tomi spent alot of time doing scientific work (searching for worms, bees and other squirmy things), and Leo did alot of "reading" of Tin-Tin books before they started wreaking their havoc, which spun their daddy into "let's-go-to-the-park" mode, and gave me some time to do the grocery shopping and finish up the terrace work. (= a long, happy story, made short)

p.p.s. The wearing of two different boots was and still is Leo's idea. He says he's "doing like a clown does". I don't disagree with him, of course. How could I? And don't even ask me what Leo's up to, but no, Tomi is not into rap. He's still into Spider-Man x 1,573. And Vic Chesnutt. Among other things.