Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Most Incredible Moment


We tried to pull an all-nighter, but I lost the battle with my eyelids at around 3am (Chicago time + 7).

At 7:40 the radio woke us up, blaring the news: "BARACK OBAMA, 44ème PRÉSIDENT DES ÉTATS-UNIS!"

My eyes filled with tears of joy, relief, hope - they keep filling, again and again.

And talk about a moving speech. When I caught a glimpse of the Rev Jesse Jackson's tearful gaze, I nearly burst into sobs.

The end of one of the worst errors in recent American history is finally at hand, and we can - finally - start the massive work of repairing the damage done over the past eight years (and then some, since alot of the damage was given its start well before the worst of it).

Of note:
Fellow blogger Betsy and I both noticed a telling detail in the course of the speeches given by the two candidates last night. When McCain mentioned Obama, booing followed; whereas when Obama mentioned McCain, there was clapping. I'm sure at least 53% of you will draw the same conclusions that we did.