Sunday, November 12, 2006

I Smell Winter

& I also found an old Housemartins CD during some preliminary housecleaning this weekend. Coincidence? or fate?

But it's true: when I went out to the terrace (after the find described above), winter was in the air. It smelled of snow and ice and mittens. It also started me thinking of the boys' advent calendar - the one I haven't yet started making. Ack!

Last night, however, spring was in the air again. You could feel the warm layer, somewhere up there in the swiftly moving clouds (which looked like grey duvets, thus furthering the feeling of some kind of warmth). The sky reminded me of those reddish warm greys in a good pastels palette.

Here are the boys, last (decidedly autumnal) Friday:
And here they are on the next - decidedly winterish - morning. They had asked me to make a film of their animals, so that they could watch it. These are a couple of stills from that session. (Unfortunately, I can't put films on this site.)

And here is the painter we pass every day on our way home from school. I imagine that we won't be passing him for several months, beginning very soon. We'll miss him: his set-up, his presence, his kind & glowing smile, his lovely wee works...