Monday, April 28, 2008

Family Flea Circus

A few shots of our family flea circus from the past few weeks:

These pictures were taken on one of our first days that seemed to mark the real beginning of spring. Jean-Philippe was watching from the perfect angle as the boys played at the edge of he fountain. And the blue sweater was a hand-me-down from a wonderful friend, and is one of our all-time favourites. It has sadly been slightly too small for a few months, now. But when I got it back out to consider handing it down once again, Tomi snatched it from my hands and hasn't let a day go by without putting on, since. On this day, he found a Turkish knit shirt that my mother-in-law had given me and... it's been a regular feature in our lives ever since, too.

The boys' almost-own creation: demon costumes, more or less à la Mononoke. ("Mommy! You can make some ears? Like this? You can do that? We making demon costumes!") And, an hour or so later, our current X-dresser and Black Spider-Boy on the sunny terrace.

Scenes from the night of our first lice-extraction. I was horrified when we realised what it was, but the parents all reassure me: it's the first of many. You call that reassurance?! I hear you saying. Well, yeah, when they're also saying, "What?! It's your first time?! Lemme tell yeh, we've been through it several times already, ourselves!" and so on. Still... Oh, and no, Tomi isn't fingering anybody. Later, when I was helping Leo brush his teeth, I heard a happy, somewhat surprised little voice behind me say, "Look! It's a crocodile!" and turned to see this (though the picture has been cut, because this is still a blog that's open to the general public...).

And our little dancer. We were inspired to start putting together a "dressing room" of sorts for moments when either or both of them feels like putting together a costume. This was what came out of their first foray into said "room" (which is actually a big bag in one corner of their bedroom, which holds all sorts of things, from princess slippers to bat masks. They also have a "treasure box," which holds the smaller items).