Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Eats, Reads & Jumps

We all LOVE Leftovers Tuna Sauce & spaghetti! (& the boys are now well-practiced noodle-spinners...)

& we had a really good day, yesterday, starting with this frantic, funny running and jumping over puddles after school. It was so hilarious that people were shaking with laughter as they walked by and tourists were snapping photos of them - and thanking us! ho! ho!

As for said reads:

It was difficult to get into CENTURY IN SCARLET, because the translation is so tiresome. The translation of The Dukays was quite lovely, and made a wonderful read, but this one... Of course, it would be better to read it in its Hungarian original. But given my present ebb of energy and comparative flow of things to do in any given day, I'm thinking this'll have to be put off for a... long time.

A recent RE-read was Jane Austen's SENSE & SENSIBILITY. I had read all of her works in one fell swoop about fifteen years ago, and had been meaning to re-read a couple of them ever since. Enter: the Arte Book Swap. (Thanks, Chengy!) Funnily enough, in the last month or so, several people have mentioned to me (without my prompting the subject, I swear!) that they're reading Jane Austen at the moment. A little cosmic breeze...

A GRIEF OBSERVED was a painful read, partly because it brought my own to the fore, and partly because it underscored several other, simlar thoughts & feelings, including the fact that there is more grief to come. Lewis' other (than the grief itself) and life-consuming point, though, is lost on me. I see no proof of God's existence in the face of such tragedy. The point is so feebly put forth towards the end of the book, that it is almost embarassing to read the assertion in Chad Walsh's Afterword that Lewis, whose mind was "trained ... to smell nonsense and fallacies and to destroy them by a merciless dialectic process," could believe that "Theism... stood up well under logical scrutiny."

I started re-reading The Screwtape Letters after A Grief, and found myself feeling (similarly) a bit embarrased by his style (which, at age 14, had seemed so brilliant), and even a bit frustrated by his simplicity and some of his (or rather, Screwtape's) assertions. I'm hoping that my Narnia re-reads won't be thus marred...!